Friday, May 20, 2011

water: my family tree

What defines a family? Taken from a website I frequent, I found a definition of the word "family" as this:
group of people who are generally not blood relations but who  share common attitudes, interests, or goals and,frequently, live together.
I would think that this means more to today's society than the more common definition of man, woman, and children, of blood descent, and who share the same biological line. Honestly, who do you go to for support, wisdom, a hug, and to share news? Is it your father or little sister? Or is it usually the ones that share common attitudes, interests and goals? I say the latter. That is definitely more so the case for me. 

Why is this? Why as adults do we generally bypass the biological connections and migrate towards our friends? I know for me, I have created a family of friends that support me, defend me, correct me, and most importantly, love me.  If love is what connects people, than that gives great reason as to why so many biological families fall apart: there is no love. 

Here is where I decide to either discuss why this is on my mind today, or discuss how great my friends are. One will leave me in a perpetual state of negative bewilderment, and the other will force me to meditate on the positive in my life. I choose positive. 

Kelly, 
you are my Buddhist Bell. I smile whenever I think about you (which is quite frequently), I laugh at your messages on my voicemail, I cry when I feel your pain, and I love every minute I spend with you. I look forward to your hugs, your laughs, and your inspirational words of wisdom. Thank you for being you. 

Ben, 
you are one of the most beautifully talented people I know. Your passion for life amazes me. Your passion for amazement is alive. I know that every person you meet is touched by your generosity and beautiful nature, and I am so blessed to call you brother. Thank you for being you. 

Sarah, 
you make me laugh like a child. That good ol' deep belly laugh, that resonates from the tips of my toes to the top of my head, tickling every part of my insides on the ride up. I haven't known you very long, but I know you well enough to share with the world that you are one of my closest friends, a sister. 
Thank you for being you!

Bruce, 
dad, fellow piano player. Your sarcasm and cynicism are only coverings for the amazing person you really are. You have a heart of gold, and I feel so lucky that I am one of the few that know that. I always look forward to seeing you, basking in your political, social and theological wisdom, and walking away a better person, just because I was with you. Thank you for loving me, and thank you for being you. 

Ashley, 
my dear, I miss you tremendously. It has been over ten years since I've last seen you, yet every conversation we have is like no time has escaped us. Even when we were kids we had an emotional and psychological connection that couldn't be explained, and I have long since tried to do so. You speak truth, you live life as if it is your only life to live, and you aren't afraid of who you are. Thank you for being you. 

Kurt and Bek, 
we were a unit at one point, and that memory forever will keep me in check! You guys are go getters, truly talented individuals, and amazingly beautiful people. I know if I were to pick up the phone right now, we would be on it talking for hours, laughing like crazy, and reminiscing about Uncle and LHB. It is because of the two of you, extending the invitation to join you on your adventures, I am who I am today. Thank you for that, and for being you. 

John. 
Where to start? You bring a smile to my face the moment I wake up each morning, and before I fall to sleep every night. You make each day brighter, each laugh longer, each tear smaller, and each day better than the last. I appreciate, more than words can express, how hard you work so we can live the way we do. I've never known another man who is as beautiful, talented, and passionate about life as you are. I am happy to call you my best friend. I am blessed to call you confidant. I am amazed to call you my love. I am so extremely lucky to call you husband. Thank you for loving me the way you do, and thank you for being you. 

I am a very blessed woman to have the most amazing people in my life. My friends. My family. You guys mean the world to me, and I would do anything for each and every one of you. 

1 comment:

  1. Dayna, you love fearlessly. You are beautiful. You are amazing. You are perfect just as you are. Your heart is your beauty. I know why we are family. I love you, friend. Kelly

    ReplyDelete