Tuesday, June 7, 2011

water: the year of sunbathing and reality

So today marks one full week of being twenty-nine years old. I have to say, all the months, weeks, days and hours leading up to the thirty-first of May were ones of agony, reflection, and unbelief. This year marks my last year of my twenties, and then I will be thirty. 
A terrorizing thought. 

Or so, it was. 

After many hours of reflection (up on my roof, sunbathing, of course), I started to think about not so much how old I will be on my next birthday, but what I have accomplished in the last twenty-eight years of my life. It truly has been 10,227 days of growth, adventure, tears, praise, and love. I have accomplished much in my short life already, and I am proud of who I have become and all I have experienced. So I therefore, right there up on my roof, deemed the age of twenty-nine as the year of the woman. 

A day or two after that revelation of not being scared of my age (or wrinkles, flabby arms, crows feet, etc), I was again deep in thought about many different situations, scenarios, and circumstances we all face in our life. The who's, why's, when's, where's, how's and what's of life always tend to keep my gears cranking. This thought then came to me in a moment of meditation. 

"I create my own reality."

Isn't that true for everybody? Do we not all take the pieces of our lives, and those around us, and form what we see as being what we want to see? Whether is be a positive or negative experience, we all tend to make situations what we want them to be. 

My younger brother and I had the exact same experiences as children, due to the fact that we were two years apart, homeschooled, and very rarely did things on our own. We did school together, played together, ate together, etc. All of our memories of our childhood should be the same, right? 

They aren't.

We tend to take "snapshots" of different parts of our life and then hold on to them for dear life, claiming that those snapshots ARE our life, and no one can tell us differently. This may not be a bad thing, but I don't think it is a very healthy outlook on lives in general. 

Things happen. 
People evolve. 
Breathe in, breathe out. 

No one can make you see your life as anything other than what you choose is your own reality. Surround yourself with negativity, and your reality is negative. 
Surround yourself with positivity, and your reality is then positive. 

So with these thoughts I was thinking (which is more like rambling, I know), added to the revelation I had about twenty-nine being the year of the woman, I decided that twenty-nine is not the year of the woman, 
but twenty-nine is the year of reality. 

Defining reality, living reality. 

Or maybe twenty-nine is just the year of twenty-nine. 
It's your reality, you decide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment