Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Coffee, Computers and Keys


The aroma of freshly brewed coffee and recently baked doughnuts fills my nostrils. I hear a bell chime and the door opens. A young couple, probably in their mid-thirties, walk in laughing. From my place in the corner I doubt they see me, but I have an unassuming and incredible visual of them.

Observing from the sidelines, the love they have for each other is very apparent. The laughter, the looks, and the life that exudes from both of them fill the small café. I smile and continue to work on my computer. Again, the smell of coffee fills the room.
"Whipped cream on your mocha, today?”
“Yes, please!” she responds.
The taller of the two starts walking around the café and observing the different pieces of art on the walls.

Reds and yellows and oranges fill a blank canvas to create the enamoring silhouette of a city at sunset. Blues and blacks and whites create an abstract painting of squares, yet always make me think of flowers.
I take a bite of my apple fritter, thankful it's the winter. Washing it down with my peppermint mocha latte (again, thankful it’s the winter) I watch the blonde meander towards the black piano placed inconspicuously in the back of the café.

Pressing a few of the keys, her eyes light up.

“Can I play this?” she asks the owner of the café.

“Of course, that’s why it’s there!” he responds.

She sits down at the professional upright and begins to play a soft ballad. I don’t recognize the song but it is beautiful. When she is done she just sits there with her hands in her lap, looking down at the keys. I realize that there is no smile, only tears.

Quietly observing the pair while appearing intensely consumed with my computer, I hear the taller of the two softly say “Mom loved to hear you play.” After a moment of silence they walk out the door together, the blonde’s head on the taller one’s shoulder. The bell chimes again and they are gone.

Pay attention to your surroundings, my friends! There is always a being that needs a hug, someone that could desperately use an encouraging word, a friend that needs honest advice, or an acquaintance that needs a gentle push to do something that scares them. It is our responsibility as citizens of humankind to help one another. It is our duty as residents of a common earth to demonstrate love towards one another.
“Do one thing that scares you every day.”
 –Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment